Dealing with Disappointment


I recently finished the 2013 racing segment of my season.  It was a disappointment.  After last year’s successes on the NorAm circuit my expectations are now higher and I failed to meet those expectations in the early season races.  The highlight was actually not in a NorAm race, but a 2nd place finish against a competitive field in an Alberta Cup classic distance race leading up to the NorAms.

My aim is for the podium in every NorAm race I enter, however, so far this winter I haven’t been very close to that yet.  In Silver Star I finished 17th and 15th.  In Rossland I finished 8th and 7th.  Yes, I could list all my excuses, things that didn’t go my way; the cold weather affected me in Silver Star, I adjusted my bindings to the wrong setting for the skate race, I crashed in the semi-finals in the Rossland sprint, and my skis were icing badly in the classic race.  That’s all part of sports though; things don’t always go your way.  Sometimes no matter how well you prepare, the end result is not what you intended.

I had a great summer of productive, quality training and therefore I am confident in my fitness and ability.  I made some costly mistakes in a couple races and maybe wasn’t completely on my game to start the season.  I will learn from these mistakes and move on with my season.  It’s still early.  There is plenty of racing to be had over the next 3 months and my goals haven’t changed.

Racing to 2nd place in the Alberta Cup Classic Distance (maybe the Movember stache gave me extra speed?)
Photo Credit: Angus Cockney
On a lighter note, the CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS are here!  Russell and I are getting into the spirit at our place with the fire crackling and our Alberta World Cup Academy Noble Fir all lit up.  If you’re still in need of a Christmas tree for the holidays and live in the Bow Valley, be sure to check out our team’s tree sale on the weekend at the Bill Warren Training Centre.  Open from 10am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday.

Feeling winter cozy in our place! 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

ps. Good luck to all those Fantasy Footballers in the playoff finals this weekend.  I'm getting my teams ready to face off with Harvey's "Tittsburgh Feelers" and Killick's "Killzone Retribution" for the pride and glory of league champion status.  My fingers are crossed...

Comments